10 Foods for Dogs to Avoid

November 8th, 2018

chris-liverani-698350-unsplash

  1. Caffeine

Most owners are aware that Caffeine is poisonous to dogs. However, not all may realize all of the food products it can be found in. These products include all forms of coffee, tea, soda, energy drinks, weightlifter supplements and diet pills. Small doses are not likely to do much damage. However large amounts or accidentally swallowing a diet pill can have a detrimental effect.

  1. Chocolate

No matter how much chocolate may be a treat to us, it certainly isn’t for our dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is similar to caffeine. Theobromine can affect the guts, heart, central nervous system, and kidneys.

  1. Milk and Dairy

Dairy products can cause digestive problems as dogs do not  hold a substantial amounts of lactase, which is the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk.

  1. Avocado

Probably the most loved food of recent years. But keep these out of your dog’s way as they contain a substance called Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea.

  1. Coconut Oil

Coconut oil has become increasingly popular in our daily diets. However coconuts and it’s oil can have a serious affect on your dog.

  1. Onion and Garlic

The onion family (including garlic and chives) are highly toxic to dogs as they can cause gastroenteritis, anaemia and severe damage to the red blood cells. It is important to consider what foods you give your dog as many ready prepared foods contain onion and garlic.

  1. Alcohol

Alcohol is highly toxic to dogs. Even small quantities can have a big effect. So be sure to keep your alcoholic beverages out of reach.

  1. Corn on the Cob

The cob of a sweetcorn cannot be ingested by your dog and can lead to blocking in the intestines.

  1. Nuts

Certain nuts such as Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs. Most nuts contain a high amount of fats and oils which can have a bad affect on your dog’s health. So whether they are toxic or not, all are best avoided.

  1. Xylitol

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in foods like sugarless gum, sugar-free candy and baked goods. It can also be found in toothpaste, mouthwash, chewable vitamins and cough drops. Ingestion can cause a life-threatening drop in your dog’s blood sugar, as well as liver damage. Symptoms include vomiting, seizures and loss of coordination, which can occur anywhere from a few minutes to several hours after ingestion.

Other Foods to Avoid

Grapes and raisins contain a toxic chemical which is not yet known. They have been seen to cause kidney failure. As it is not certain of the affects they may have on dogs, they are best to be avoided all together. Just as raw or uncooked meats and egg may be harmful to us, they are also harmful to our pets. As are moldy foods. Too much salt can cause issues for your dog so try to keep salty snacks to a minimum. If you are unsure on something, be safe and avoid it.

 

The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of the writer. Content published here does not necessarily represent the views and opinions of Petplan.

Comments are closed.