If you’re planning??to welcome a new member of the family into your home be sure to make your house into a safe and comforting place for your new kitten or puppy. Remember that a pet is a big responsibility and that most pets require a lot of time, money, and energy. Be sure to read our blog Pets are for Life if you are considering buying or adopting a pet.
Pet Shopping List
- Food (be sure to find out what your pet is currently being fed)
- Bowls for food and water
- Chew toys
- Grooming supplies
- Bedding and carrier (if it is a small animal)
- Collar, leash & ID tags
- Dog waste baggies
- Petplan Pet Insurance – Top 4 Reasons Puppies (and kittens) Need Pet Insurance
You’ll have to look at your home and back yard from the eyes of a puppy or kitten. Get down on your hands and knees and see what sort of dangers they might encounter while they are exploring their new home. Here are some ideas:
- Tape loose electrical cords to baseboards
- Put household chemicals on high shelves in secured cabinets
- Remove any dangerous plants from your home or garden. What plants are toxic? Check our our Toxic Plant blog
- Remove any breakables or unstable items that could fall on your pet
- Install gates above staircases to prevent a nasty fall
- Use gates or a movable fenced area to control what rooms your pet can enter
Consistency is Key
Pets become accustomed to routine and it can be a source of comfort for your pet in a new situation.
- Create a vocabulary list – “Down”, “Sit”, “Stay”, “Come”, “Heel”
- Use the same food as the place where you purchase your pet. If you plan to change your pets diet then do it gradually.
- Feeding times – Your pet will look forward to this time each day!
Remember that moving homes is a stressful experience for your pet. Don’t overwhelm your pet. Be sure that he has his own, comfortable area that he can retreat to but more than likely he will just want to snuggle up and get to know you.
This Blog was written by the furry family at??Petplan Australasia. Petplan Pet Insurance specialises in animal and animal industry insurance. Our practices keep the role that pet insurance plays in responsible pet ownership and the health of the pet at the forefront. For tips to keep your pet healthy, make sure you follow us on??Facebook.